Creating Successful Solutions
DIR was engaged by a local bridge builder to support their girder erection over train tracks on a main route running through central and southern VA. As usual, the railroad provides track time on their schedule and it’s normally a small window. VDOT also had their concerns with road closure issues. DIR was asked to assist in shrinking the installation window. Our transportation design allowed the client to build multiple Bridge Girder assembly’s off-site. When track time was given, DIR transported girders with their specialized equipment approximately 1 mile to site for off-loading and setting. Our design saved the client multiple days, equating to approximately 50% savings in time from their original plan for the girder setting process. Installations were completed to the satisfaction of both the Railroad and VDOT.
Manufacturing Press Installation
Working for a local manufacturing firm, DIR utilized it’s 65 and 55-ton trilifters to receive, stage, relocated, up-right, assemble, and set in place, an 85,000lb vertical press. Project was completed on schedule, with no incidents, exceeding the client’s expectations. DIR is now moving to other areas of the facility to support multiple new equipment installations.
Challenge Presented, Solution Provided, Successful Execution Completed
DIR was presented with the challenge to remove, load, prepare for shipment; then off-load, and replace 4 ID Fans at a local power plant. The ID fans were 30’ long, 13’ in diameter, and weighed 100,000lbs. The challenge was to develop an engineered rigging plan that ensured our clients obligation to meet the shutdown schedule, site safety conditions, in an extremely tight work area, while maintaining their budget.
Through multiple site visits, engineering support, and field management input, a unique rigging plan was created. The plan utilized, specialty header beams, counter weights, gantry system, 50 and 65ton trilifters, and SPMT trailers, and was presented to the client and owner. The approach was approved, and the engineering put into motion. Over the next 30 days engineering was completed and blessed for execution. Removal of the fan rotors started in late September and the last rotor was installed on November 3rd; on schedule, without incident, and under budget.
Motor Removal & Installation
DIR removed and loaded 3-52,000lb motors at a power plant with its new 65ton Trilifter. The site conditions were very tight and took an experienced crew of certified riggers and operators to complete each task. The new motors are being delivered and will be installed in the upcoming weeks.
“Load Testing” services for multiple clients in a variety of industries and we’ve performed load tests up to 1,000,000lbs. The most recent load test was a 150,000lb test for a local engineering firm working in the Nuclear Industry. We have over 40,000sqft of enclosed and dry warehouse space to accommodate your product should it have to be stored.
Aggregate Quarry Project
Project: Feed Tunnel, Screener Tower and Screener Modification/Replacement
- Removal and replacement of tunnel feeders and gates
- Removal and replacement of process water and hydraulic lines
- Removal and replacement of existing screener and all associated feed and process equipment
- Demo existing material bin, field fabricate and rebuild material bin
- Line interior of material bin with AR plate
- Remove, replace, and make modifications to structural components of screener structure
- Structural Repairs
- Conveyor modifications
Dominion Altavista Power Station Fly Ash Project
Project: Dominion Altavista Power Station Fly Ash Project
Customer: Process Baron
Location: Altavista, VA
Diversified Industrial Rigging was the Industrial Mechanical Contractor for the project. We performed the following:
- Crane and lifting services including Engineered Lift and Rigging plans (Cranes – 175ton, 135ton, 100ton, 8ton carry deck)
- Demo of structures, equipment, and piping
- Steel Erection
- Demo and modifications to existing bag house hoppers
- Structural steel erection of silo structure
- Installation of all associated equipment, motors, pumps, conveyors, etc.
- Installation/welding of all piping – air and process
- 25 day shut down
- Hour of work - Sun up to sun down
- Stored all new equipment at our yard and established “Just in time” deliveries to site (relieved site congestion and multiple handling)
- Removed all demolished structures and equipment from site in the largest possible pieces to our yard. Relieved site congestion and allowed installation productivity to not be impacted by demo work.
- Cut-up scrap and loaded onto scrap trucks for delivery to scrap yard. This was all performed at out yard and did not impact the job site
- This was the final and third plant to have Fly Ash modifications completed. The General Contactor self-performed the first 2 (Hopewell and Southhampton). The General Contractor contracted the mechanical installation to Diversified and we had major completion of the project 2 weeks earlier with 50% less labor than the first 2 plants. According to the General Contractor, of the 3 projects this was the only one they were profitable.
- 8,000 man hours with no recordable incidents
Lock and Slide Install of a 116,000lb Transformer
- Mobilize to clients site and prepare Lock and Slide system to remove old transformer.
- Using a unified Jacking system, raised old transformer and set Lock and Slide in place
- Slid old transformer from transformer pad to a safe location where it could be lifted and removed from the substation.
- Off-loaded new 116,000lb transformer and set on Lock and Slide system
- New transformer was slid and placed on existing transformer pad.
- Project completed in under 15 hours without incident.
Clear Water Paper
Project: Install Yankee Dryer and Tad Rolls - TP Paper Converting Machine
Customer: Spirit Construction
End User: Clear Water Paper
Location: Shelby, NC
- 2 each – Tad Rolls 72 tons
- 1 Yankee Dryer 142 tons
- Design Shoring to support floor where Tad Rolls and Yankee Dryer were being installed
- Off-Load units from Transport Trailer to Platform Trailer
- Move units on Platform Trailer to the Gantry’s
- Off-Load units from Platform Trailer using Gantry’s
- Walk the Units on the Gantry to final set location
- Set units
Project: Aggregate Mining Plant Expansion
Customer: Luck Stone
Location: Manassas, VA
- Secondary Crusher Unit
- Tertiary Unit
- Thousands of feet of Conveyor
- Radial Arm Stackers
- Conveyor Tunnels
- Platforms, walkways, handrail, machinery guard, etc.
Diversified Industrial Rigging (DIR) provided, field fabrication, erection, and equipment setting services to the largest capital project that Luck Stone has completed in many years. The 21 month project was one of the largest projects DIR has completed to date.
Project: Rhode Island Overhead Crane Installation
Customer: General Dynamic Electric Boat
Location: Rhode Island
Cranes spanned 204 ft. with individual girder weights of 180,000 lbs.
The original scope of the project changed drastically when the roof of the building was completed prior to DIR’s girder installation. With the weight of the girders and the height of the installation, the team had to think outside the box. In a timely manner, a combined effort from Diversified’s project engineers and their Lift Planning department, designed a 500ton shoring tower hydraulic gantry system used for the installation that held a total weight of 360,000 lbs at an 80’ elevation.
Stennis B2 Test Stand
Bay Saint Louis, MS
Project: Stiff Leg Crane Modification
Customer: Stennis Space Center
Location: Bay Saint Louis, MS
Diversified Industrial Rigging completed the removal and reinstallation of the Stiff Leg Crane atop of the B2 Test Stand. The crane sits on top of the B2 test stand at an elevation of over 300’ with parts of the derrick to be disassembled by riggers and millwrights working at heights of almost 400’. The Stiff Leg Crane components were shipped to the manufacture to be refurbished. This process took 3 months to complete and Diversified then remobilized to Stennis and reinstalled the crane; a challenging experience when you consider we had to reeve 16000 of hoist cable.
- Mast: 84,500lbs
- Draw Works: 72,000lbs
- Stiff Legs: 28,000lbs
- 11000’ of 1.25” main hoist cable
- 5000’ of 1.5” boom hoist cable
- 200’ of 3” boom hoist pendants
Project: Transformer Installation
Location: Houston, TX
- Weight of transformer – 450,000lbs
- 400 ton Jack and Slide system
Diversified Industrial Rigging received the transformer at a local Houston rail site, slid transformer from rail car to the transporter, transported the transformer to the sub-station, and slid the transformer to its final resting spot in the sub-station